Loetz / Lötz Glass Identification Guide + Gallery
The name Lötz comes from a man who apparently had very little to do with glass, Johann Lötz. Some time after he died in 1844, his wife Suzanna remarried, to Dr. Franz Gerstner. In 1851, the bought the Klastersky Mlyn glassworks, which was originally founded in 1836 by Johann Baptist Eisner von Eisenstein, in the town of Klostermuhle, south Bohemia. The name of the factory was changed to Johann Lötz Witwe, which means "the widow of Johann Lötz". This was shortened to Lötz, and around the turn of the century was anglicized to Loetz.
Susanna's grandson Max Ritter von Spaun took over the company in 1879, and a year later hired Eduard Prochaska as director. Production moved from domestic utility glass to luxury glass, and in 1895, inspired by Tiffany, Loetz began to make Art Nouveau style glassware with an iridescent lustre finish, for which Loetz is so well known today. The Loetz glassworks closed in 1947.
Sources: 20th Century Factory Glass by Lesley Jackson.
View more Loetz / Lötz Glass examples in our Glass Reference Database
Buy Loetz / Lötz Glass Products in our Online Glass Store
Loetz Glass on eBay UK
Loetz Glass on eBay USA
For more information on Loetz / Lötz glass, check out the following resources:
Loetz Austria, 1900 | ISBN 978-3900282264
Collectible Bohemian Glass, 1880-1940 | ISBN 978-0966837612
20th Century Factory Glass | ISBN 978-1857322675