Who's Online

There currently are 49 guests online.

Skrdlovice / Beranek

Skrdlovice glass - shown below is our current range of vases, bowls and other decorative vintage collectable glassware by Skrdlovice / Beranek of Czechoslovakia.


The Beránek glassworks was founded by Emanuel Beránek and his two brothers Bohuslav and Josef, in the village of Skrdlovice in 1941. Emanuel was already a master glassmaker at this time. When World War II ended in 1945, Emanuel bought his brothers shares and became the sole owner of the factory. His brothers stayed at the factory to work for him. The factory name was changed to Skrdlovice around 1950, approximately the same time communism arrived in the country. Skrdlovice managed to survive nationalisation and continued to produced artistic glassware. Although Emanuel lost ownership of the factory at this time, he continued to work at and run the factory, and was joined by his two sons in the 1950's, Jan Beránek and Jindrich Beránek. Other designers to work at Skrdlovice include Milena Veliskova, Maria Stahlikova, Jan Kotik, Jaroslav Svoboda, Jarmila Svoboda, Pavel Jezek, Ladislav Oliva and Frantisek Vizner. Emanuel retired in 1959, by which time his son Jan had taken charge of the factory. The Skrdlovice glassworks was returned to the Beránek family in 1992, after the return of democracy. At this time the factory name was changed to Beránek Glass S. R. O., and Jan Beránek passed the ownership to his son, Vlastimil Beránek, who ran the factory until its closure in 2008.

Sources: Beranek & Skrdlovice: Legends of Czech Glass by Robert Bevan-Jones & Jindrich Parik.