Who's Online

There currently are 70 guests online.

Harrachov / Harrach

Harrachov / Harrach glass - shown below is our current range of vases, bowls and other decorative vintage collectable glassware by Harrachov of Czechoslovakia.


The Harrach or Harrachov glassworks gets its name from Alois Raimund von Harrach (Count Harrach), whose estate it was founded on in Bohemia, 1712. Shortly after (different sources give the year 1712 and 1714), Elias Muller received permission from Count Harrach to operate the glassworks. The factory was then called Neuwelter Hutte and soon after the area became the town of Harrachov. In 1764 the factory was renamed Graflich Harrach'sche Glasfabrik. Nowadays the factory is usually referred to as Harrach when describing Victorian or earlier pieces, and Harrachov for the mid-century or later production. From the beginning of the 19th century, the glassworks was managed by Johann Pohl. Production included engraved glass, cut glass, enamelled and cameo glass. Bohdan Kadlec ran the company in 1884 - 1900, followed by Jan Mallin until 1913, during which time, Harrachov produced Art Nouveau glassware. Harrachov was nationalised in 1948 and became part of Železnobrodské Sklo (ZBS), later it was moved to the Borske Sklo company in 1958, then became part of Crystalex in 1974. Designers at the factory during the 1950's - 1970's included Frantisek Koudelka, Milan Metelak, Milena Veliskova, and Maria Stahlikova. The Harrachov glassworks was privatised in 1993, and is still in production today, now known as Sklarna Novosad & Syn Bohemia Harrachov.


Sources: 20th Century Factory Glass by Lesley Jackson.