Jobling glass - shown below is our current range of vases, bowls and other decorative vintage collectable British glassware by Jobling of England.
The Wear Flint Glass Works was founded in 1855, and was bought by James Angus and Henry Greener in 1858, who renamed it Greener & Co. In 1886 the company was acquired by James Augustus Jobling, and in 1902 he was joined by his nephew, Ernest Jobling Purser. The company was then renamed James A. Jobling & Co. In 1921, Jobling acquired the rights to produce Pyrex glass, which became extremely successful. In 1933 Jobling began producing a popular range of Art Deco glassware, inspired by Lalique designs. In 1949, Ernest Jobling Purser sold the company to Pilkington Brothers. Pilkington sold sixty percent of its shares to Thomas Tilling, and later forty percent to Corning. In 1973, Tomas Tilling sold its shares to Corning, and the company was renamed to Corning Ltd. In 1994 the Jobling factory was sold to the Newell Company, which is still in production of Pyrex and other kitchenware today.
Sources: 20th Century Factory Glass by Lesley Jackson.