Displayed Currency:

Who's Online

There currently are 98 guests online.

Monart

Monart glass - shown below is our current range of vases, bowls and other decorative vintage collectable British glassware by Monart of Scotland.


John Moncrieff founded the North British Glassworks in 1965, in Perth, Scotland. The name of the factory was changed to John Moncrieff Ltd in 1905. Production originally consisted of industrial and container glass. In 1924 the company branched out into art glass, employing a family of Spanish glassblowers. These were Salvador Ysart and his three sons, Paul Ysart, Vincent Ysart, and Augustine Ysart. This art glass range was named Monart, a combination of the names Moncrieff and Ysart. The many shapes were designed by Isobel Moncrieff. The Monart range was in production from 1924 until 1939, and was continued again after the war on a small scale until around 1961. In 1946, Vincent, Augustine and Salvador left to found their own factory Ysart Bros. Paul continued to produce the Monart range at Moncrieff's, eventually leaving in 1963 to join Caithness. The Moncrieff factory closed in 1996 after changing hands several times.

Sources: 20th Century Factory Glass by Lesley Jackson.